About Mark

My name is Mark W. Leach. I am an attorney with a Master’s in Bioethics.

I have presented at international, national, regional, and local conferences for obstetricians, medical geneticists, genetic counselors, bioethicists, and Down syndrome support organizations. I have been published in professional journals, national and local newspapers, and on-line blogs. This blog is a continuation of my efforts to provide perspective and resources for informed decision making for those involved in the administration of prenatal testing for Down syndrome.

I serve in various volunteer capacities for several non-profit organizations devoted to providing education, support, and health care to individuals with Down syndrome and other intellectual and developmental disabilities. I am also a staff member with the National Center for Prenatal & Postnatal Down Syndrome Resources. All of the views expressed on this blog are entirely my own and should not be attributed to any organization with which I am associated.

I have two kids. My daughter is endowed with Down syndrome and my son is endowed with curly blond hair. We live in my hometown, Louisville, Kentucky.

In my spare time, I enjoy taking the family to watch our Triple-A baseball team, the Louisville Bats, handicapping the Kentucky Derby to various degrees of success depending on if Calvin Borel finishes in the money, catching live music at club-sized venues, and bourbon. I also try to buck the trend by not being an annoying UK basketball fan, but a fan nonetheless.

You can contact me via the comments on this blog and by following me on Twitter.

Comments

  1. smsteele says:

    This is a fantastic site. Thank you. I hope you don’t mind me borrowing your term ‘endowed with Down Syndrome’, it’s so apropos. One of the best friends I have in this world is endowed with Down Syndrome and so very much more!

  2. Hi Mark my daughter and soon in law who are 27, were told today that the child they are expecting has downs…this is the only information they received from this test result….trisomy 21. (Risk)1/870. (Test) 99/100. All other tests were fine….can you please help. She is making herself sick she is so upset…thanks

    • Anne–none of the tests report a risk score of 99/100, or more accurately, they shouldn’t. I would refer your daughter to the posts here and here and the posts linked within them for her to understand that receiving a screen-positive result still means she has a better than 50% chance that it is a false positive.

  3. Catherine says:

    Thank you for this site. I am currently going through this nightmare of being told I have a 99% chance of a baby with DS – the results given to me by phone with no PPV given…and no resources. I am scheduled for an NT and then a CVS next week. In the meantime, I’ve been scouring the internet for information. It seems there is a lot of conflicting information about the accuracy of these tests. For now, thank you for providing information that helps to clarify the issues.

    • Catherine–I’m glad this site has been helpful and will continue to be helpful depending on your further test results. I hope those go well and you receive better information going forward.

  4. I went for the harmony test at 10 weeks and 1 day I had received terrible news that I tested 99% that my baby girl that most likely has down syndrome, I have 2 beautiful healthy kids no history on my side or my husband side . However they told me to go to a specialist first thing was told to me let’s talk about termination! ! I was crying and felt scared he than told me iam gonna secdule you for cvs test mean while took a measurement sono of the baby everything came back perfect . Iam sick to my stomach I want to just hold my baby in august and never let her go what are the chances she is ok , I had all same test with my other 2 kids never had this harmony test with them I have it now at 37 and told my baby most definitely has down syndrome. I keep reading all different things I do t go till Thursday for the cvs, bit when I went for this harmony test my dr also had me on prodestone pills can that maybe have anything to do why I tested postive . Iam scared and so upset please I need some answers . Thank you so much

    • I’m sorry to hear about your experience of receiving inaccurate information about your Harmony results. Your physician is mistaking Harmony’s marketed sensitivity rating with your positive predictive value. Based on your age, your Harmony result should mean that you likely have around an 80% chance that your daughter has Down syndrome and a 20% chance that the Harmony result is a false positive. The National Society for Genetic Counselors has created a helpful fact sheet on testing like Harmony which you may want to review and provide to your doctor. It further sounds like you were not provided any of the recommended information to accompany a screen-positive result for Down syndrome. The recommended resource to provide mothers is Lettercase’s booklet, which you can access here. The lab that makes Harmony was provided 2,000 copies of the booklet and your doctor can order one for free. (You can also view it online, as well). There are more recommended resources for expectant mothers that can be found at the Prenatal Resources tab. I hope these are helpful to you.

  5. My wife took a cfdna test that tested positive for down syndrome. She then had an Amniocentesis which we got results of the FISH test (we’re still waiting on the full Amnio results) and the results are that the baby is normal. How common is this?

    After discussing with others, 2 ppl we know had the same result. One of them said they tested positive on the cfdna for all of their children and the amnio results were that the kids were fine, which was the case with the children.

    • There’s no way of knowing how often false positives occur since the labs either do not track this information or do not report it.

      • We received the results of the Amniocentesis and I’m even more confused. The results from that test are that 30 of the 34 cells in the sample tested positive for Turner Syndrome, 3 of the 34 cells were normal and 1 of the 34 cells had an extra Trisomy 21. What does this mean? The baby cannot have Turner syndrome as it is a boy (previous tests confirmed this and the doctor has confirmed this in the ultrasound as his privates can be seen).

        So to summarize our cfdna testing showed a slightly elevated level of Trisomy 21. The doctor described it as a slight elevation, but not elevated as much as they normally see with down syndrome. As a result of this we were directed to have an amnio. With the fluid from the amnio they ran a FISH test and a full amnio test. The FISH test results were that the baby is normal. Then we got the full amnio tests results today showing the abnormalities I described in the first paragraph. What is going on in these tests as the results are all over the place and the amnio results aren’t even a possibility (as in you can’t have Turner syndrome in a boy, and if you had these disorders they’d be present in all of the cells, not bits and pieces).

        Thank you for replying and I eagerly await your reply to this as well.

        • There is a form of aneuploidy where an extra chromosome is present in some but not all cells, which is referred to as mosaicism. However, with this being an amnio, this really is a difficult result to understand. I would ask to be counseled by a medical geneticist to interpret the results for you.

          • We did. They cannot. They say it could mean the baby is normal or it could mean that the baby has down syndrome and the Turner syndrome results baffle them. So after three tests we have no answers and are forced to live with anxiety. After our experiences, I’m very skeptical about the accuracy or benefit of testing.

          • I at least appreciate their honesty in admitting when they don’t know. I hope that going forward you receive compassionate care and have a healthy delivery.

Trackbacks

  1. […] menu Skip to primary content Skip to secondary content HomeAbout MeGlossaryPrenatal […]

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: